Elder Kyle Shannon :)

Elder Kyle Shannon :)

Monday, October 5, 2015

Fifteen Scoop Champion!!

Hello

This week has been very tiring for me. The amount of driving I have had to do this past week has been unreal! On Wednesday we had an MLC meeting which is meant for all the zone leaders to attend, but President wanted the district leaders to come as well. The meeting is all the way down in Auckland and it started at 9 am. In order for us to be there on time, we had to drive down Tuesday night and sleep over with some other elders in the area. It was kind of cool because we felt like business men traveling to our meeting haha. 

The meeting was cool. President told us that we are no longer looking to plant the seeds. We need to baptize! "The field is white and ready to harvest". Thats part of our mission vision. Our goal as a mission for this next month is to baptize 55 people. Thats our goal. So he is really pushing baptism heaps. The standards of excellence is for each companionship to baptize 2 people every month. So things are really starting to pick up in the mission. It’s cool because I get to basically hear all the behind the scenes of the mission. 

We spent a few days in Auckland this past week. Other than that, that was pretty much my week. The whole district leader thing is getting better. It can be stressful at times. When I have to do mid and end weeks I spend most of my time writing down numbers and talking on the phone. By the time I finish its almost 10:30 and I still have to write in my journal and get ready for bed. My companion is from New Zealand and we get along pretty well. I do get annoyed sometimes because he expects me to respond after everything he says. But I’m doing my best to love him. For the most part though we do get along. For some reason the mission gave us a massive house and its just the 2 of us that stay there. There is 3 bed rooms and we have 2 living rooms.

Right now the work is slow, very slow. All we do is finding... Finding new investigators is hard. Its hot and very, very, very humid. So its frustrating when no one wants to listen to you and its hot and humid. But we keep trying. We are working with a few people to get over drugs and alcohol, one of them is named J. He is not a member but he wants to come to church, he just wants to quit his addictions before he starts coming so once he quits we are going to try and set him for baptism. He is doing really well. He smoked weed for sometime and so did his girlfriend. After the missionaries before us talked to him, they helped him through his addiction and he broke up with his girlfriend who was also addicted to weed but she didn't want to give it up. So its cool cause he is doing it a lot by himself which is awesome to see. But other than that not a whole lot is happening. 

Everyone in the other ward we cover are almost all members haha and I’m being serious. So there is almost no work to do over there. Oh and this is way cool. Do you remember that All Blacks player from forever ago and he decided to serve a mission? His name was Syd Going. Well His family is in our ward! There family is massive! They make up half the ward. But its cool because I didn't even know till I asked my companion why the name "Going" sounded so familiar. And than he told me ha. 

Both of our ward mission leaders are awesome. They really like the work and like to come out with us to help.

Our K's for the car are limited to 2,600 k's per month and they disappear really fast. So we have to be super careful with how we use them. Dealing with the sisters in my district can be hard. One of the sisters has gotten caught with another elder doing stuff. Her punishment was that she got sent up north away from everyone. She’s super cool and regrets what she has done. Also the sister training leaders had to split up one of the sister companionships mid way through last transfer because they did not get along and I heard it was pretty bad to. I have to figure out how to handle all of it. One of the sister’s is Sister B, she is the one from Herriman haha, funny how we ended up in the same district. The others are from Utah and one of them is from Australia. I was reading my Patriarchal blessing the other day and it talked about being a leader and protecting the daughters of God so I’m applying that to all that's happening right now.

This is also really cool. Just before I started to email we went to an Ice cream place with the zone leaders and my district to do this challenge where you have to eat 3 liters of ice cream (15 scoops). The fastest anyone has ever done it was in 20 minutes flat. So I decided to do it. Very few have finished it. It either ends up melting or people throw up. The Ice cream place is famous for it and its been in the news for anyone to come and try it. So I decided to do it. They put it all on 2 ice cream cones and it takes about 20 minutes to make it. They have to stack it and make sure it will stay in place while I’m eating it. Only one of the people there can make it. They were shocked when I told them I wanted to do it. But 20 minutes later I’m holding 15 scoops of ice cream on 2 ice cream cones. I have pictures, but the computer I’m on won’t take sd cards so I will have to show you next week. Long story short, I finished it in 16 minutes and 28 seconds. Broke the record! I was so pumped! They asked that we email the picture that we took of me with the ice cream and send it in so the can post it up in there shop! So I’m pretty pumped about that. I’m not feeling too well right now though. My stomach hurts pretty bad. 

That's my week!  We will be watching conference this weekend and I’m excited for that. I love you heaps mom! I miss you!


Elder Shannon 

No comments:

Post a Comment